Gibbs

Tom Larsen bvtl at ODIN.PDX.EDU
Wed Oct 22 05:13:13 UTC 2003

No, I am NOT assuming they are the same.  In fact, I am not assuming
anything.  As you yourself can find in any decent bibliographic database,
these are two separate books, both first published in 1863 by Cramoisy
Press, dealing with two different languages.  The Alphabetical Vocabulary of
the Chinook Language (23 pages, Shea's Library of American Linguistics, vol.
XIII), deals with the Lower Chinook language.  Though it is said to have
been published "under the auspices of the Smithsonian Institution", it
apparently was not actually published by the Smithsonian. The Dictionary of
the Chinook Jargon (43 pages, Shea's Library of American Linguistics, vol.
XII) deals with Chinook JARGON. The latter was published simultaneously by
both Cramoisy Press and the Smithsonian Instution.  The edition published by
the Smithsonian was published as Smithsonian Institution Publication, no.
161. Gibb's Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon was also republished a number
of times subsequent to 1863 by various publishers, and was also "pirated"
and published by other publishers under different titles by different
"authors" many times throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.

Tom Larsen

Database Management and Catalog Librarian
Branford Price Millar Library
Portland State University
P.O. Box 1151
Portland, OR 97207-1151