maklak (was RE: Jargon in Alaska Gold Rush?)

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Sep 23 01:28:00 UTC 2003

Good questions from both of you.  I don't know of any attestation
of 'mukluk' in CJ anywhere, any time.  The word evidently went from Eskimo
into English, not into CJ.  I can only guess, but will do so willingly,
that Alaskan CJ would've used a word derived from English 'shoes'
or 'boots' to express an equivalent concept.  (<Stick shoes>, maybe
even?)  In any case, we do know the word 'boots' in Chinook Jargon was
widespread -- I have seen it in Kamloops Wawa several times, as well as
from Oregon.

The main problem with figuring out for sure what Alaskan CJ was like is,
ta-daa, pretty-near nobody ever sat down to record much of it.  We now
have to rely on scraps gleaned from older sources and from oral history,
where Jargon shows up most often in the form of songs.

Let me work in an answer to Nadja's question here, too.  The Klondike
National Historical Park in Skagway (and Seattle) informs me there's no CJ
in their archival holdings.  On the other hand I have made contact with
descendants of those who were in Alaska circa Klondike-era and pre-
Klondike, and have found CJ was indeed used by some of them.  Also, as
with the question of Alaskan CJ in general, what you have to do to learn
about it is:

Research.

When I grow up I will write up the results of my own research on this
topic.  Maybe I'll be grown up by the time I'm 39.  Then you all can come
to the 2005 Chinuk Lu7lu and hear the report.

Kloshe nanich (halo klatawa chuck).

--Dave