Please help w/question on Pauline Johnson

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Dec 8 03:29:08 UTC 2004

I've been asked the following question--please, if you have suggestions,
email me <ddr11 at columbia.edu> and I'll forward your information to this
person.  Thanks!  --  Dave R.

"I'm looking for some further information on the Chinook jargon.  I write
about Pauline Johnson's 1910 stories in which she refers to Chinook,
mainly, I think, in symbolic ways.  With a very small university library to
draw on, I haven't gotten very far.  I found one article (via JSTOR) that
argued for a pre-European contact origin for the trade language, but could
not find any follow up on the debate.  I'm hoping to be able to make some
broader cultural connections regarding Johnson's symbolism, but I really
need more than the basic information I've located so far.  Can you point me
toward some potentially useful sources?

Thanks so much."