CHINOOK Digest - 10 Jun 2004 to 11 Jun 2004 (#2004-67)

Yakima Belle yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 14 18:36:02 UTC 2004

I'll give it a shot - I don't speak GR, but I'll try.
B^)

> Date:    Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:56:44 -0700
> From:    "Bruce, Colin"
> <Colin.Bruce at FRASERHEALTH.CA>
> Subject: FW: La Push, the band, and Seattle Times
> article
>
> The one minute conversation included in this article
> was the longest I had
> ever heard Chinuk-wawa spoken.  I tried to get what
> they were saying but
> some words or turns of phrase were blurred for me.
> Here $B!G (Js what I got in my
> very bad spelling.  I wonder if anyone knows what
> was said??
>
> T.J.: Qhaada msaiga

How are you guys?

> B.M.: Tloosh naiga

I'm good.

> C.S.: Tloosh

Good.

> J.W.: Tloosh naiga.  Qhaada maiga?

I'm good. How are you?

> T.J.: Tloosh, But na dowan???? xhayoo pos monk

Good, but (confused here. Na could be "me" in GR, an
interrogative elsewhere). Much to do.

> J.W.: Gwaansam kaagwa wekna?

As usual (like always?) not sure about last word.

> T.J.: Nawetga kaagwa.

Yep. Like that.

> B.M.: Ekda aatlge nsaiga monk?

What you do now? (assuming aatlge is alta)

> J.W.: Nsaiga maash tanaas.  Tloosh aalda nsaiga monk
> tloosh Chinok Skool
> wekna?

I send my kid. It's good now we make a good Chinook
school, no?

> T.J.: Dret, tlaksda monk qhaada kaana ekda saxhale
> ????

True. Who makes makes it upward - maybe who teaches up
there?

> C.S.: Wek na kamdaks

I don't no?

> J.W.: Qhaa nsaiga tege makmak?

Where do we want to eat?

> B.M.: Tloosh nsaiga kanamaks tladwa kaba xhayash
> lakart haws.

I'd like it  if we went together to the (Chart?)
House?

> T.J.: Ogok tloosh pos naiga.  Qhaada msaiga tamdam
> ogok?

That's fine with me. What do you think of that?

> C.S.: Tloosh

Good.

> J.W.: Tloosh ???? nsa tlaadwa

Good? Let's go.

> T.J.: Ogok lalaang nsaiga wawa alda klasga monk neem
> ogok chinok wawa.

This language we speak now is called Chinuk Wawa.

> J.W.: Aankade nsaiga telexham tlasga tloosh kamdaks
> ogok.

Along time ago they knew this well.

=== message truncated ===