Chinook Jargon and environmental hazards

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Thu Jun 24 03:20:11 UTC 2004

Now that the fire season's begun again, I'm thinking about environmental
and weather words in the old Chinook Jargon. However I know no words
that express 'forest fire,' or other natural hazard, other than
lightning, snow, rain, or wind. Any thoughts on how they expressed those
things?

Here's a list of a few 19th century weather-related words:

Clear up, chahko klah. (Hale)
Cole, E., cold, winter, year. (Hale)
Cole snass (cold rain), snow. (Hale)
Kol, winter, cold. (Demers,Blanchet,St.Onge)
Ppes or win, soul, breath, life. (Demers,Blanchet,St.Onge)
Sa[gh]ali pa[i]a, lightening. (Demers,Blanchet,St.Onge)
Snas, rain. (Demers,Blanchet,St.Onge)
Snass, J., rain. (Hale)
Sno or t[l'k]op snas, snow. (Demers,Blanchet,St.Onge)
Win, wind. (Demers,Blanchet,St.Onge)
Wind, or win, E., wind, breath, life. (Hale)

(PS. how are you doing, Bernard?)

-- Leanne