Interesting papers at ASE conference

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Nov 3 00:11:39 UTC 2004

At the American Society for Ethnohistory conference that happened last week
in Chicago, there were a number of papers I found really interesting from
the perspective of a student of Chinook Jargon.

Dave Dinwoodie talked about patterns of language use among the Chilcotin
people of BC, including their knowledge of CJ.

Keiko Hirose (if I'm remembering her name right) talked about the life of
Ranald McDonald as a sort of embodiment of early cultural contact.  There's
a lot written about McDonald in Japanese sources, so it was nice to find a
scholar who has been able to access that material.

Keith Carlson talked about Salish ideas of literacy and traditional values
that relate to it.

Bill Turkel talked about an episode in Chilcotin people's history of
contact with outsiders, both Chinese immigrants and the white-dominated
institutions of law and the press.

Emanuel Drechsel spoke about comparisons and contrasts between aboriginal
Hawaiians and aboriginal North Americans (especially in light of land
claims).

I also enjoyed sharing a subway ride in from the airport with the professor
who curates John Muir's papers; we had a good discussion about Muir's and
other people's CJ.

I missed Anne Fulton's talk about Native American founders of Portland,
Oregon, but we had a good chat afterward.

Many thanks to Keith for suggesting I attend this conference.

--Dave R.