"Cat" word w/French definite article

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Wed Oct 20 04:47:12 UTC 2004

Not sure I believe this, in that "lapala" at Grand Ronde is not an obscure word
with wierd alternates.  It is the usual word for standing/propping meat on
sticks near an open fire (as in the traditional manner of cooking salmon).  In
the absence of other cases of pseudo-French l- (I can't think of any offhand;
note: we have p'us not "lap'us"), it would be anomalous here.  Any ideas about
the etymology of this word?  Henry