French questions

vincent yann janilta at YAHOO.FR
Thu Jul 7 20:51:58 UTC 2005

Hey Dave,

As it is often the case unfortunately, the strange
French words popping up in the old sources of the West
are not (modern) standard French. We cannot exclude
here again any Francoamerican nor dialectal influence
though.
In standard French 'tambourin' is a small drum and
'tambouriner' is to drum. Even unknown to me and not
standard, 'tambourin(n)et' can be understood as even
smaller a drum.
For the second phrase, maybe 'assainir' (to purify) is
the word used here, even if the sentence sounds a bit
clumsy. No crude meaning then.

Cheers from Paris, Yann