New Cherokee typing software ==> CJ shorthand?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Nov 8 23:31:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

This news might bear on the desired creation of a font or software for
writing Chinuk Wawa shorthand.  I wonder if they'd consider taking on such
a project?

Dave R.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Tweed Courtney" <tcourtney at ohaitech.com>
Date: Tue Nov 8, 2005 4:26:16 PM America/Vancouver
To: "Tweed Courtney" <tcourtney at ohaitech.com>
Subject: PRESS RELEASE: OHAI Creates Cherokee Software

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

OHAI Creates Cherokee Software

Houston, Texas, November 8, 2005 – It is now easy to type Cherokee, thanks
to OHAI Technologies and the Rice University Linguistics Department.

Georgia, 1809: A Cherokee silversmith named Sequoyah began creating
the “Talking Leaves” – a writing system for the Cherokee language. In 1821,
12 years from the original idea, the Cherokee nation adopted Sequoyah's
alphabet and within months thousands of Cherokee were literate.

Fast-forward 184 years to Houston’s Rice University Linguistics Department
where a graduate student and a visiting scholar from a software company
create a way to type the Cherokee writing system easily!

The graduate student - Chris Koops - has conducted linguistic research on
the Cherokee language for the past 2½ years. In October, Chris attended a
colloquium given by Daniel Mailman, visiting scholar in the department and
CEO of OHAI Technologies – a Houston-based software company.

The colloquium was about “Software Technologies that Make Typing Foreign
Languages Easier”. After the colloquium, Chris showed Daniel the
difficulties of typing the “Talking Leaves”. That conversation led to Chris
and Daniel collaborating to create oCherokee – software that actually makes
it easy to type the written Cherokee language.

According to Chris: “The basic challenge with typing the Cherokee syllabary
is that the characters represent syllables – and not sounds, as in the
English alphabet. That means that there are a lot more characters than our
26 letters. Previous input systems were difficult to use and time-consuming
to learn, as they required the user to memorize the position of over 80
keys. OHAI makes it possible to write the Cherokee syllabary without any
memorization at all.”

Daniel says: “This was an extremely fun project that shows how fast and
easy it is for scholars and software developers to make typing systems for
any language. oCherokee isn’t a commercial language product like oChinese,
oVietnamese, and our other language products. Nevertheless, we feel that
there is social merit to the project, and that it is very much in keeping
our commitment to “21st Century Literacy”.

OHAI plans to make oCherokee freely available to linguists, scholars, and
students of Cherokee.

ABOUT OHAI TECHNOLOGIES:

OHAI’s input tools make it easy to type foreign languages. OHAI’s products
close the productivity gap for many languages including Chinese,
Vietnamese, Spanish, and many other European languages. Our products enable
our customers to use their computers in their language their way – quickly,
easily and accurately!

###

----

For more information, please contact: