Chinook Way

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 15 08:28:27 UTC 2005

Hayu masi Henry!

  Indeed, I transcribed with "G" the "g" with a dot under it, which represents the voiced version of /q /. The vowel appears to be an open /e/ sound, since Jacobs transcribes it with epsilon ("a quality between e of English 'met' and a of English 'mat' "), and Boas with "ae".

  Francisc

hzenk at pdx.edu wrote:
  Different word. Gwet (=qwet) is perhaps better translated 'extent': hence,
sitkum-qwet 'half-extent'=half-way. Boas writes somewhere that he heard "kopa
qwaet" at Siletz for 'at that time', an expression he had never heard before
that. Henry

Quoting Francisc Czobor :