Twana poems?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue May 9 23:43:13 UTC 2006

That's the heading on an unattributed file from the BC Provincial Museum
archives.

It contains two xeroxed sheets of four pages from a small book.

There are three songs here.

Page 32 (and 33) is "Heaven" in the 'Twana or Skokomish language', to the
tune of "I'm Going Home".

Page 36 is "Happy Day" in the 'Nisqually language'.

Page 37 is "Medley" in 'four languages' (Chinook Jargon, Skokomish,
Clallam, and English) to the tune of "The Hebrew Children".

This has to be by Myron Eells, right?  Which book does it come from?

Here is the text of the "Medley", a song I haven't seen before:

[CJ] Kah, O kah mitlite Noah alta?
[Skok] Dichad, dichad kaoway kleets Noah?
[Clal] Ahinkwa, ahinchees wia-a Noah?
[Eng] Far off in the promised land.

[Eng] By and by we'll go ho home [sic] to meet them.
[CJ] Alki nesika klatawa nanitch,
[Skok] Atsoi, atsoi hoi klishaydab sublabad,
[Clal] Ia chee hatl sche-tung a-whun.

The second of the CJ lines uses what looks like good First Nations CJ,
leaving out any word for "them".

--Dave R