Tirade in Jargon

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 1 15:59:10 UTC 2006

Here is my guess:
  “I want to tell you about that paper about Angelina.
  I am unhappy.
  Better you don’t give that name Macdonald to Angelina.
  I don’t like that name.
  When this child was born, that man rejected his child, and I took it.
  This child now became strong (= grew up?) by me.
  It is correct that I win this child and I expended a lot of my money, it became strong (= grew up?) now.
  Nobody will take it, it is rightfully my child now.
  Quite a lot of people told me, I will win this child.
  Better you don’t give that name to Angelina; if you give that name to Angelina, I will be sad.
  Good-bye
  I am Isaac Peter”

  And I am Francisc

David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:
  I'll just throw this 1894 bit at you guys. Gotta do some other work, so no
translation for you yet. Send in yours!

(I've marked the sentence boundaries & punctuation where I think they
belong; I also cleaned up the spelling for you; NULL means a missing "yaka"
here. Note, one of the times "pi" is used, you probably won't want to
translate it with a word in English.)

-- Dave R

"Naika tiki wawa kopa maika ukuk iht pipa kopa Anshilina *
Naika sik tomtom *
Tlus maika ilo mamuk ukuk nim Makdonal kopa Anshilina *
Naika ilo tiki ukuk nim *
Pus chi chako ukuk papus, pi iaka mash iaka papus ukuk man, pi naika iskom
NULL *
Ukuk papus alta chaku skukum kopa naika *
Drit naika tolo ukuk papus pi naika ayu mash naika shikman,
shaku skukom alta *
Ilo klaksta iskom NULL, drit naika papus alta *
Drit ayu tilikom iaka wawa kupa naika, naika tolo ukuk papus *
Tlus maika ilo mamuk ukuk nim kopa Anshilina; pus mash ukuk nim kopa
Anshilina, naika sik tomtom *
Klahawiam *
Naika Aisak Pitir *"

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!