cocumb

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 11 09:00:53 UTC 2006

In Shaw's English-Chinook part, among the equivalents for "swan" is also "cocumb", a strange word that looked to me as a sort of misspelling of something. But now I discovered that it's from some Salishan language. In the Vocabularies of Coast Salish Tribes (E.S. Curtis: The North American Indian, Vol. 9, page 184) there is: "Shoalwater Bay" (a Lower Chehails dialect): ko-kom; Quinault: ska-kum.

  Francisc