Today's reading

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 17 08:23:11 UTC 2006

LaXawya, Dave!

  Hayash mersi pus ukuk hayash Lush Kamlups Wawa pipa mayka mash khapa ntsayka!
  Thank you very much for these wonderful texts from Kamloops Wawa that you are sending to us!
  This text is quite clear for me. Just one remark: the first sentence, "Naika shako tanas kamtaks Shinuk pipa", in the first instance I would have translated it "I was born knowing to read in Chinook" (because chaku tEnas means also "to be born"), which is obviously non-sense. In order to avoid confusion, maybe I would have formulated that sentence "Naika tanas shako kamtaks Shinuk pipa", but this again could be missinterpreted as "my child learned the Chinook script". Maybe "Naika shako kamtaks tanas Shinuk pipa" would be better? Most probably, my understanding of Chinook Wawa is too poor.

  aLqi wEXt,
  Francisc

David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:
  From an 1892 letter from the Williams Lake area:

"Naika shako tanas kamtaks Shinuk pipa, kakwa naika tiki pus kwansim maika
mash kapa naika maika aias tlus pipa, iaka nim Kamlups Wawa, pi naika mamuk
mitlait iht tala kopa ukuk pipa."

"I've learned to read shorthand a bit, so I want you to keep sending me
your wonderful newspaper called Kamloops Wawa, and I'm enclosing a dollar
for the paper."

Any questions? I'm in a hurry so I'm not breaking this down word by word
just now.

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!