Today's reading

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Fri Oct 27 05:40:47 UTC 2006

Hi, Francisc,

My kids may have just sent an incomplete answer...

I've been trying to reply to your question.  I hope this gets through.

In brief:

- *"Naika tanas..." would indeed mean "My child..."

- "Naika shako tanas komtaks..." is a diminutive of "shako komtaks" (to
learn), thus meaning "sort of learn".  It's a humble way of talking.

- The clearest way to express "learn a little" would be *"Tanas naika
shako komtaks...", putting the adverb TANAS in standard adverbial position
at the left of the sentence.

Cheers,

--Dave R