eel/lamprey morphemes

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 20 09:25:37 UTC 2006

Hi Tina,

  according to the sources where I have access, the following words for lamprey and related species are attested in Chinookan and Chinook Jargon:

  1. LAMPREY or LAMPREY EEL (Pteromyzon fluviatilis):

  a.) In Chinookan languages:
  - Lower Chinook: skakulh (Gibbs 1863) / ska'kwali (Curtis 1911) "lamprey";
  - Clatsop dialect of Lower Chinook: skakoli (Gibbs 1863);
  - Cathlamet: shka'kwal (Curtis 1911) "lamprey";
  - Wishram (Upper Chinook): i-ga'kwal (Curtis 1911) "lamprey";

  b.) In Chinook Jargon:
  - skakwal (Demers 1838) "lamprey;
  - kokowell (Palmer 1845) "eel";
  - skwa'kwal (Gibbs 1863, Shaw 1909) "lamprey eel";
  - swa'kwul (Good 1880) "lamprey";
  - skwokwol (Shaw 1909) "lamprey eel";
  - skwa'kwEl (Holton 2004) "lamprey";
  - shwakwEl (Saxton 2005) "lamprey";
  (E = the "schwa" sound, like "u" in "but"; Holton wites it "ê";
  where I wrote a', that means that the stress is on that "a")

  According to Gibbs, this word is "of local use only", and Shaw lists it in his "Supplemental Vocabulary" of "less familiar words - not strictly Jargon - or of only local use". The fact that the word is Chinookan would suggest that it was used only or mainly on the Lower Columbia River. However, it appears also in Good's vocabulary, which explicitely reflects the Chinook Jargon of British Columbia.

  2. SUCKER-FISH (Pteromyzon marinus)

  - katake (Demers 1838 "sucker", Shaw 1909 "sucker", Cleven 2005 "sucker-fish");
  this word appears to be of Salishan origin: compare with Lushootseed  kwa't'aq "skate fish" (Bates & al., 1994).

  The sources that I have used (all are from the Internet):

  Bates & al., 1994:
  Dawn Bates, Thom Hess, Vi Hilbert: Lushootseed Dictionary, University of Washington Press, 1994 (http://books.google.com)

  Cleven 2005:
  Mike Cleven: A General Glossary of the Chinook Jargon and an Introductory Phrasebook of Useful Chinook and other regional words and usages of British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest (http://www.cayoosh.net/hiyu/chinook2.html)

  Curtis 1911:
  Edward S. Curtis: The North American Indian, being a series of volumes picturing and describing the Indians of the United States and Alaska - Vol. 8: The Nez Perces. Wallawalla. Umatilla. Cayuse. The Chinookan tribes. Northwestern University, 1911 (http://curtis.library.northwestern.edu/index.html)

  Demers 1838:
  J. M. J. Chinook Dictionary, Catechism, Prayers and Hymns. Composed in 1838 & 1839 by Rt. Rev. Modeste Demers. Revised, corrected and completed in 1867 by Most. Rev. F. N. Blanchet. With modifications and additions by Rev. L. N. St. Onge Missionary among theYakamas and other Indian Tribes. Montreal, 1871 (http://www.canadiana.org/ECO/mtq?doc=04222)

  Gibbs 1863:
  George Gibbs: A Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon, or Trade Language of Oregon. Smithsonian Institution, Washington, March, 1863 (http://chinookjargon.home.att.net/gibbs.htm, or http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/chinookjargon/, or http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15672)

  Good 1880:
  John Booth Good: A vocabulary and outlines of grammar of the Nitlakapamuk or Thompson tongue (the Indian language spoken between Yale, Lillooet, Cache Creek and Nicola Lake) together with a phonetic Chinook dictionary, adapted for use in the province of British Columbia. St. Paul’s Mission Press, Victoria, B.C., 1880 (http://www.canadiana.org/ECO/PageView/02276/0002)

  Holton 2004:
  R. James Holton: Chinook Jargon - The Hidden Language of the Pacific Northwest. Wawa Press, San Leandro, California, 1999, 2004, (http://www.adisoft-inc.com/chinookbook/index.html)

  Palmer 1845:
  Joel Palmer: “Words used in the Chinook Jargon”, in Palmer's Journal of travels over the Rocky Mountains, 1845-1846. A.H. Clark, Cleveland, Ohio, 1906 (http://memory.loc.gov)

  Saxton 2005:
  Kelvin Saxton: English to Chinuk-wawa Vocabulary List. From Gibbs, Holton, Johnson, and Saxton. Done mostly in the GR orthography (http://ksaxton.fastmail.fm/EngCWDict.pdf)

  Shaw 1909:
  George Coombs Shaw: The Chinook Jargon and how to use it: a Complete and Exhaustive Lexicon of the Oldest Trade Language of the American Continent. Rainier Printing Company, Inc., Seattle, 1909 (http://chinookjargon.home.att.net/shaw.htm)

  I hope this helps.

  Francisc

Tina Wynecoop <wynecoop at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

  Hello:

Is there a Chinookan word AND a Chinook Jargon word for the eel/lamprey
species?

My friend is especially interested in receiving the jargon morphemes.
He has the Spokan word/spelling.

I am aware that there has been much discussion on the listserv about
'oolichans" and its variant spellings, and I am thinking that that word
refers to the herring rather than the eel.

I was especially interested in one scene in a French movie I watched a few
nights ago, Sequins, where the cook prepares an eel for dinner by placing
the eel's mouth on a hook and pulls the skin off like it was a sausage
having the casing removed in one piece. Wonder what eel tastes like?

Thanks you,
Tina
Spokane,WA