eel/lamprey morphemes - corrections/completions

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 23 12:44:44 UTC 2006

In my previous message I gave the scientific names:

  Pteromyzon fluviatilis for "lamprey (eel)";
  Pteromyzon marinus for "sucker fish".

  Subsequently I found that the river lamprey is also called scientifically Lampetra fluviatilis.
  It seems to me that Pteromyzon fluviatilis is an alternative or old name for Lampetra fluviatilis. In any case, both species are belonging to the Pteromyzontidae family ("Lamprey family").
  On the other hand, Pteromyzon fluviatilis or Lampetra fluviatilis refers in fact to the European river lamprey.
  (North-)American river lamprey species are Lampetra aepyptera (= Ammocoeles aepypterus), Lampetra alaskensis, Lampetra appendix and maybe others. I don't know wich of these is the "i-skakwal" of the Chinookan and the "skakwal" of the Chinookan Jargon speakers.

  The sucker or sucker-fish (Pteromyzon marinus) is also called sea lamprey.

  Francisc