mystery "French" in Wawa

CHRISTOPHER SCHINDLER chris24 at TELEPORT.COM
Thu Jun 12 04:54:20 UTC 2008

The French for dandelion is (with article) le dent-de-lion.
The "lapeyl" part reminds me of CJ "lapoel", Fr. "la poele"
(with circumflex accent on the first e) - so [frying]pan can?
"labins" seems to be an example of what Henry is suggesting,
where Eng. "beans" being prefixed with a Fr. article.

Chris

Tillamook).

> labins 'beans' (also Louis Fuller).
>
> lapeyl 'can (for cooking in)' (Joe Peter, a Cowlitz living at Yakima Res).
>

> All three words appear to have French articles, but I don't find
> anything like them in my French dictionary.  Are they Canadianisms?
> Local coinings?  (Since so many nouns for introduced items are from
> French, there may be a tendency to adopt the French article as a sort
> of noun-classifier for such words).  Henry
>
> To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately
to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!