mystery "French" in Wawa

Isaac M. Davis isaacmacdonalddavis at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 12 04:26:38 UTC 2008

I may be able to shed a little light here.

In Québec French, <en> is indeed often pronounced as a nasalised epsilon (I
should know; I hear it every day). I don't know if this is an archaism that
may be shared with more westerly dialects and accents, but it's certainly
possible.

As well, 'des binnes' for 'beans' is an extremely common Anglicism. It's
about coequal with 'des fèves' in restaurant menus. I tend to say the latter
at my own food service job, but that's just out of habit and the L2
speaker's tendency to avoid obvious loanwords from one's own L1.

Isaac

--

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master."
—Abraham Lincoln