Fwd: Re: Respectful Request for a Translation

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Wed Oct 22 03:39:28 UTC 2008

Scott,

Yes, and your possibility has historical precedent.  Fr. Demers'
dictionary has kwan ("k" written with kappa meaning it's glottalized
or "ejected") as 'tame, docile, gentle, meek, quiet'.  Fr. St Onge
also has the compound kwan-tomtom 'meekness, humility'.

And I also find, in a text by St. Onge describing the Catholic marriage rite:

tlush spos iaka kwanesom mitlait kopa tKeH, pi kopa helo-saleks
'may it be she always lives in love, and in peace' (K for glottalized
again, H for a fricativized "h"; St. Onge writes as k, h with
superposed tildes).

helo-saleks 'lacking-anger/fighting' is perhaps an intutively more
straightforward way of expressing the basic concept of 'peace' than
kopet-saleks.  In fact, I might have to differ with Duane on this one.
  Both of these words, hilu 'lacking, without' and saliks 'angry,
fighting' are part of the basic vocab of regional "Chinook", and I
think that the compound does get at some of the essence of the concept
"peace".  Henry