Fwd: Re: Respectful Request for a Translation

Scott Tyler s.tylermd at COMCAST.NET
Wed Oct 22 16:16:12 UTC 2008

allaa tlaas!
nika tlap tenas ikta koopa tsinook wawa!
I found nice Chinook tidbits!
nanich koopa pook yaka nem
Indian Legends of Pacific Northwest by Ella Clark
copyright 1953 University of California Press

p 53  in 1865 a young soldier William M.Colvig had learned Chinook jargon in his childhood

Looks like Chinook was pretty wide spread as a means of intertribal communication, and later replaced by English as a means of common communication.

Even more interesting is Andrew Joe from the Swinomish Reservation, talking about the 'Beginning of the Skagit World' on p. 138-140.  He puts all the Changers together.

"In the beginning Raven and Mink and Coyote helped the creator plan the world." p 139

later "Doquebuth, the new creator came"... p 139

Later in his story he talks about how all the people would speak the same language as a sign when the next Change would come.

"that a new language would be introduced into our country.  It will be the only language spoken, when the next change comes.  When we can understand the animals, we will know the change is halfway.  When we can talk to the forest, we will know that the change has come." p 140

I like to think of Chinook jargon being a new language as it was a synthesis of Native and Europeon languages.  Later it was replaced by Engish as a means of intertribal and inter-racial communication on the NW coast.

Has anyone ventured to say when was the beginning of the use of Chinook Jargon?  Perhaps with Hudson Bay company?  Is there evidence that tribes with very little Europeon contact used Chinook Jargon for intertribal communication?
When was the hay day or peak of Chinook usage on the Northwest coast?

Scott