Etymology of a few words

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 25 12:39:57 UTC 2008

Hi, James,

My main source for CJ etymologies (for my personal CJ-Romanian dictionary) is Gibbs's dictionary (and Shaw's, which in general follows Gibbs). Only for a few word I have found also etymologies in various other sources, most of them being in fact better forms in source languages.
So let's see what I have for the words listed by you:

(s)lahál: Gibbs gives as etymoloy “Chinook, Etlaltlal”; I have noted also the form chal-e-chall in Ross’s 1810 Chinook word list, and in Lushootseed: sləhál (Bates, Hess, Hilbert: “Lushootseed Dictionary”, University of Washington Press, 1994, but this might be a loan from CJ)

saplíl: Gibbs gives “Chinook, Tsápelil” and quotes a Yakama saplil “bread” from Pandosy;
Ross (1810) has chap-all-ell “bread”; in Nancy J. Turner’s “Keeping It Living: Traditions of Plant Use and Cultivation on the Northwest Coast of North America” appears shapallel (cakes or tortillas made of dried roots; with this sense, of “cakes” or “tortillas” is mentioned the word also by Cpt. William Clark (1805), in the form cha-pel-el)

íkta: I have Gibbs’s “Chinook, ikta”, Lower Chinook í-kta from Lang (“Chinook Jargon, A Canadian Perspective”, The Innsbruck Lectures, 2002), and Franchère (1810): ikta.

lháxani (LáXani, LáXni, tLáXani): only Gibbs’s “Chinook, Klakhani”.

This is what I have.

Francisc

--- On Sat, 9/20/08, James Crippen <jcrippen at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

From: James Crippen <jcrippen at GMAIL.COM>
Subject: Etymology of a few words
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Date: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 12:00 AM

I'd like to know if anyone can offer source languages for the
following few words in the Jargon.

lahál "bone game"
saplíl ~ saplél "flour, bread"
íkta "something"
lháxani "outside"

Also, has anyone collected a list of etymologies for non-European
words? There are some mentioned in various places, but they don't
usually give a reliable form in the source language.

Thanks, Mási,
James

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond
privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!