Corpora: in search of concordancer software

Geoffrey Williams williams at ensinfo.univ-nantes.fr
Tue Apr 11 06:02:57 UTC 2000

Hi

I swear by WordSmith Tools and have never been known to swear at it. It is
a very complete set of tools. If you want even cheaper try Mike Scott's
Microconcord at an unbeatable price (gratis) for those who can still handle
DOS. The site is : http://www.liv.ac.uk/~ms2928/

A much simpler tool is Web concordancer
http://www.rjcw.freeserve.co.uk/features.htm which  I have found very
reliable, or even more suited to teaching Aston Text Analyser
http://www.les.aston.ac.uk/~roepj/guide/guide.htm

Hope this helps

Geoffrey

At 16:38 10/04/00 -0600, Linda Bailey wrote:
>Dear corpus readers,
>
>I am a graduate student at the University of Montana, working on a
>master's degree in Spanish. I am interested in creating a corpus that can
>be used as a learning tool, based on the Beginning Spanish telenovela
>program, Destinos.
>My idea is to enter the scripts from the Destinos shows, and develop
>activities based on lexical topics. The students would have to refer to
>the corpus to investigate.
>I am looking for a suitable concordancer program that isn't too expensive
>and is easy for students to use.
>Please send me your opinions about the available software. Also, are there
>any good sources for reviews of concordancer software?
>
>Thank you in advance for your input,
>
>Linda Bailey

********************************

Dr Geoffrey WILLIAMS