Corpora: review webcorp

Alejandro Curado Fuentes alexcurd at unex.es
Tue May 2 15:44:40 UTC 2000

Dear list members,
I have recently visited University of Liverpool RDUES's web page that
features an internet search tool compiling corcondance lines from
hypertext documents and their URLs (if requested).
I must say that it works effectively and thus strongly recommend such a
tool to anyone interested in working with language from electronically
posted documents on Internet. For my own aims, the ability to assemble
concordance lines of expressions such as "internet access" or "networking"
is of prime importance, thus allowing contrastive views among different
texts at various locations where the clusters appear. An example is how
"Internet Access" is either capitalized or in lower case letters, denoting
brand names of applications or just an action. This, I believe, proves to
work as a magnifying glass with which to focus on sense and meaning
throughout hypertextual documentation, as well as a means to rapidly
provide a reference in the form of Internet addresses. For language
teaching where information technology is applied, the value is assured.

Congratulations and thank you to the researchers and technicians at RDUES.

the location is http://webcorp.connect.org.uk

Alejandro Curado
Dpto. Lengua Inglesa
E.U. Politécnica