[Corpora-List] wanted: corpora of student-teacher interactions

Lee, David dvdlee at umich.edu
Fri Jun 25 13:04:10 UTC 2004

Alan,

The BNC (World Edition) has:
58 files totalling 429,970 words of classroom discourse (non-university)
18 files totalling 143,199 words of university tutorials

You can get the file IDs by using my BNC Index (see
http://clix.to/davidlee00 ) to search by genre.

You could also search the BNC (WE) file headers themselves for the
classification code "<classCode scheme="DLee">S classroom</classCode>"
(or, for university tutorials, use 'S tutorial'), but the headers may
not necessarily reflect more recent classification changes/corrections
since the BNC (WE) was released. These are available only in the BNC
Index released on the web site above.

For American English, you can try MICASE
(http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/micase.htm ), which has lots of
files of student-teacher interactions and also help-desk interactions
(all within a university setting only). You can find the relevant files
by browsing (http://www.hti.umich.edu/m/micase/browse.html ) the corpus
by 'speech event type' and 'primary discourse mode' (choose the
interactive or mixed ones). MICASE is searchable and browseable on-line,
but for more flexible research options, you should probably order a
local copy (choosing either a personal or site license).

As you have already guessed, neither of these corpora has metaphors
marked up explicitly.

Hope this helps.

David Lee

On Behalf Of