[Corpora-List] 'Standard European English' ?

Ramesh Krishnamurthy r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 13:56:10 UTC 2006

Hi Martin

But many of the BoE examples also have simple past tense:
usbooks/US ngland: 1550---1750, 109. Already in 1584 Scot described these
brbooks/UK inst itself- Romanticism. Already in 1750 Rousseau wrote that reason
usbooks/US who drifted on their own. Already in 1776 an observer noted
times/UK liked to write things down. Already in 1795 he used the word

Unfortunately, I can't readily establish whether these happen to be
non-native writers...

Intuitively, I agree there seems to be something a bit odd about the usage.

Is it the fronting of "already" in this usage (for emphasis?) that is
marked, perhaps?

I can think of alternate locutions, such as
"As early as YEAR; as long ago as YEAR" etc
that might seem less marked?

And I agree that progressive forms seem less marked...

Best
Ramesh

Ramesh Krishnamurthy
Lecturer in English Studies