[Corpora-List] corpus linguistics

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Mon Sep 17 02:43:47 UTC 2007

Like many, I've hesitated to join the (meta-)debate. But politics affects us
all.

I first subscribed to the Corpora list some 13 years ago. At that time it
was a nice small community of people with common interests, principally an
interest in an exciting new way of looking at language. Corpus linguistics
was exciting and new. The Internet was exciting and new. The Internet
community was smaller in general. There was a certain intimacy among users.
As Internet users, and corpus users, at the time Corpora subscribers were
above all almost by definition open to new ideas.

With the increasing popularity of the Internet a broader cross-section of
people have joined, both the Internet and the Corpora list. Perhaps for that
reason debate on Corpora has largely died out and the list has come to be
choked with conference announcements, calls for papers, new books, extended
deadlines, and the numberless, mindless, minutiae of administration in
academic linguistics.

The focus on corpora meant it was still a good list. But in practice I
personally ceased to do much more than quickly sift through the hundreds of
conference announcements, and re-announcements, extensions, 1st calls, 2nd
calls, new books... every month or so, if I remembered. Perhaps others of
the early users are the same.

With that in mind. Much as I hate to change a formula which has proven so
successful over the years. Since the community the list seeks to serve seems
to have changed. Perhaps there might indeed be grounds to consider the
establishment of a separate corpora-announce list which would contain only
things of interest to those who do not wish to debate or be confronted with
new ideas.

Depending on volume, extended deadlines and the like could be posted to one
or both lists. People could choose to post inquiries to one or both, at
their peril.

I honestly hesitate to support such an idea. The Corpora formula has worked
well, and continues to work well. While I find the volume of extended
deadlines and such tiresome at times, it is not great problem to ignore
them. Nobody wants to debate all the time, and the day-to-day announcements
keep things ticking over.

Were there no complaints I would vote enthusiastically to keep things as
they are. But if the volumes justify, perhaps such a split could be tried.
With luck that might return the list to some of its early vibrancy.

-Rob Freeman