[Corpora-List] medication pronunciations

Rob Malouf rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu
Sat Mar 29 23:03:28 UTC 2008

There are very strict regulatory constraints on the names that
pharmaceutical manufacturers can use for new medications.  Among other
things, names can't sound too much like an existing brand name or a
familiar word.  Pharm companies put a lot of work and expense into
choosing names, and I know that at least some of them use a corpus of
existing brand names to search for possible phonetic conflicts. I
don't know where they get their pronunciation data from, but if they
collect the corpora themselves, then they're not likely to make the
available, unfortunately.  The FDA might have such a database of their
own, to help evaluate new proposals.

Another place to look is in training materials for pharmacists.  Like
these:

http://sayitrite.com/
http://db.bookdev.com/ibj/dbwks?-db=ibj_bookjacket.fp5&-lay=all&-format=default.php&-op=bw&shortname===ripepe&-find

---
Rob Malouf <rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu>
Department of Linguistics and Asian/Middle Eastern Languages
San Diego State University