[Corpora-List] FW: Gender differences in language

Emiliano Guevara emiliano.guevara at unibo.it
Mon Mar 31 06:31:21 UTC 2008

Dear Corpora listers,

First of all let me apologise if someone has been offended by my
phrase "logorrheic impulses". I meant it to be very ironic, but some
may have not caught the irony (fortunately, other did get it).

In my opinion, this whole thread is off-topic at Corpora list: just
consider that, so far, the word "corpus" has not been used a single
time since the thread started. Here it goes again, just to increase
the frequency count: "corpus"...

Unfortunately (or some may say fortunately), Corpora does not have a
set of explicit guidelines, unlike other mailing lists. But the fact
that the list is called "Corpora" should suffice.

In the meantime, at least try to follow K. Hofland's suggestions:

On 22 Sep 2007, at 12:09, Knut Hofland wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Having been the Listadm for Corpora since it's beginning in 1992
> and with
> reference to the recent discussion on the list, I would like to stress
> that discussion still remains an intrinsic component of the Corpora-
> List
> and that all types of discussion with a bearing on corpora are
> welcome.
>
> The Corpora-List has more that 2600 members. From time to time it is
> understandable that some members feel that the volume of messages
> is too
> high or that the topic is outside their main interest. However,
> through
> the years I have got very few complaints about this.
>
> To make it easier for the readers to select the messages that are of
> interest to them, I would ask the posters to use an informative
> subject
> line and to add a keyword to the beginning of the line such as:
>
> Conference: CFP / Program / Announcement:
> Journal: CFP
> Book:
> Job:
> Query:
> Software:
> Disc:
>
> etc.
>
> Do not change the subject heading of a thread.
>
> I will make a more detailed posting guide on the Corpora web-site:
>
> http://gandalf.aksis.uib.no/corpora/
>
> I will also advise the members to make use of the filtering options in
> most mail reading programs where it is possible to direct mail to
> different folders based on information in the subject line like
> "[Corpora-List]" and the keywords mentioned above.
>
> It is also possible to get a digest version (max. one message a
> day) by
> visiting the member's options page:
>
> http://mailman.uib.no/options/corpora
>
> It is also possible to read the list without being a member at one
> of the
> archiving sites listed on the Corpora web site.
>
> The Corpora-List has been run in a member-only mode for posting (where
> the message goes direct to the members on the list), but with an
> option
> where non-member postings have been forwarded to the Listadm. This
> includes messages from members who have changed their address since
> they
> signed up for the list. Recently nearly all of these messages have
> been
> spam. To reduce the work of the Listadm I will turn of this
> forwarding in
> the near future. The message will then automatically be discarded
> and the
> posters will receive a message saying that they have to subscribe
> to the
> list or go to the member's options page to change their address.
>
> To be able to use different mail address when sending messages to the
> [...]

Emiliano R. Guevara
Facoltà di Lingue e Lett. Straniere
Dip. di Lingue e Lett. Straniere
Università di Bologna
Via Cartoleria 5 (40124) Bologna, Italia

Homepage: http://morbo.lingue.unibo.it/

E-mail:   emiliano.guevara at unibo.it
           emiguevara at gmail.com