[Corpora-List] About Part of Speech in English and Chinese

Xiao, Zhonghua z.xiao at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 13:37:59 UTC 2009

Hi Fukun,

It is true that in your new example "ba yifu xi ganjing" (BA clothes wash clean), xi "wash" is a verb and ganjing "clean" is an adjective, but the adjetctive ganjing "clean" is still a complement, not an adverbial. The structure of this new example looks like that of the old example because of the special BA structure used, which preposes the object to the pre-verb slot: without BA, the same meaning - but not style - is expressed as "xi ganjing yifu" (wash clean clothes). You said that "baozhuang jingmei" shares the same structure as "xi ganjing", but can you say "ba lipin baozhuang jingmei" while we can say "ba yiwu xi ganjing"?

Cheers,

Richard