[Corpora-List] Parallel Word Lists

True Friend true.friend2004 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 03:23:58 UTC 2009

Well, this is a trivial task in any programming language. I might write some
code in C# for you, obviously not a whole program but a little snippet which
will work for your current task ( I love to use C# as scripting langauges
Perl or Python in SharpDevelop, so it might be out of your restrictions as
well i mean no Perl and no Unix, just Windows and C# :) )

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:22 PM, David L. Hoover <david.hoover at nyu.edu>wrote:

> I often need what I'll call a parallel word list, which is a combined word
> frequency list for a corpus of texts along with an entry for the frequency
> of each word in each text, including zero frequencies, like this (the
> entries are in descending frequency order for the entire corpus):
>

>        Text 1  Text 2  Text 3
> the     0.0610  0.0428  0.0551
> and     0.0387  0.0294  0.0249
> to      0.0265  0.0287  0.0272
> of      0.0252  0.0291  0.0326
> a       0.0239  0.0238  0.0207
> city    0.0000  0.0015  0.0002
>

> I have my own methods of doing this, and I know that WordSmith Tools will
> produce such a list using the "Detailed Consistency List" function, with
> View Column Totals, but I wonder if there are especially good publicly
> available (free) methods out there that I just haven't found.
>
> Also, to be clear, I'm looking for a simple tool for users without any
> programming experience, so no Perl scripts, no UNIX, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> David Hoover
>
> --
>         David L. Hoover, Professor of English, NYU
>      212-998-8832       http://homepages.nyu.edu/~dh3/<http://homepages.nyu.edu/%7Edh3/>
>
>   Most of her friends had an anxious, haggard look, . . .  Basil Ransom
> wondered who they all were; he had a general idea they were mediums,
> communists, vegetarians.          -- Henry James, The Bostonians (1886)

Muhammad Shakir Aziz محمد شاکر عزیز