[Corpora-List] adverbial 'behind'

True Friend true.friend2004 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 17:17:00 UTC 2010

Hi
Well, it looks like a preposition with a completive and whole phrase working
as adjunct.
Regards

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Jim Fidelholtz <fidelholtz at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, Marc,
>
> My initial reaction to your question was 'what adverb?', ie, that it is a
> preposition. With a bit more reflection, I'm a bit more convinced that it's
> more of a preposition than an adverb. Cf.
>           They lost their daddy behind the barn. (or even: after the event,
> where I would interpret 'after' here as a preposition). Actually, such
> examples seem to me to point out the fuzziness of grammatical categories
> (*especially* where adverbs are concerned, and cf. also 'discourse markers',
> which in their historical development seem to progress syntactically in many
> cases towards adverb-like behavior).
>
> Jim
>
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Marc FRYD <marc.fryd at univ-poitiers.fr>wrote:
>
>>  Hi everyone,
>>
>> In the second episode of "The Wire," one of the characters says the
>> following:
>> "[I am] sorry they lost their daddy behind what happened". This is in
>> reference to some kids losing their father after he was shot.
>> Is anyone familiar with this particular usage of 'behind'?
>>
>> Best,
>> Marc
>>

>>  --
>> *Dr. Marc FRYD*
>> Faculté des Lettres et des Langues
>> Université de Poitiers
>> 95 avenue du Recteur Pineau
>> 86022, Poitiers, France
>>
>> Tel. [33](0)5 49 45 48 11
>> Mob. [33](0)6 76 28 18 50

> --
> James L. Fidelholtz
> Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
> Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
> Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO

Muhammad Shakir Aziz محمد شاکر عزیز
Masters in Applied Linguistics (last semester student)
Translator, Course Developer, Linguist for Urdu, Punjabi and English
Urdu:- http://awaz-e-dost.blogspot.com/
English:- http://linguisticslearner.blogspot.com/
Facebook:- http://www.facebook.com/truefriend2004
Skype:- true_friend2004