[Corpora-List] Reviewers

Declerck declerck at dfki.de
Sat Oct 1 09:46:02 UTC 2011

On 01.10.2011 11:20, Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:
> Surely, it is good to abolish any reviewers. Usually, the reviewers
> write what they were taught long ago. Besides, they have no time to
> penetrate into the logic construction of the report or article. So,
> only "grey" products are aproved. Brilliant reports or articles are
> thrown away. So, the reviewers make linguistics not brilliant. The
> other thing is, why the reviewers think that they know linguistics
> better? Why do they think that any other linguist cannot distinguish a
> good article from a bad article? I noticed that usually grey articles
> with nothing to discuss are published. Reviewers gladly recommend the
> articles in which the common and stale ideas are repeated. Please,
> share your ideas on abolishing the reviewers as the hindrence of the
> progress in linguistics to my e-mail addtess yutamb at mail.ru
> <mailto:yutamb at mail.ru>  Be well, Yuri Tambovtsev, a reviewer

Dear All,

Quite interesting discussion going on on the basis of an initial
question on submission and reviewing procedures at LREC.

Yuri's statement about reviewers is for sure a provocative one, but it
gives the opportunity to talk about the role of reviewers.

Reviewers are in a Programme/Editorial  Committee and does do not have
to decide (only) on the quality of a submission, but (also) if the
submission can contribute to the topics of a workshop (or symposium or
conference or journal etc.). So that a brilliant paper submission might
not be adequate for a specific event.

Reviewers also should make comments and suggestions to the authors of
the submission, this potentially  leading to reactions by the author(s)
of the submission.
Reviewers are also not alone in taking decisions, and sometimes various
reviewers are discussing on one and the same submission.  This together
with  comments/suggestions on a submission are a kind of "hidden"
scientific discourse. Maybe something to exploit in the future?

And personally I learn a lot about what is going on in the field on the
basis of reviewing activity., also reading (interesting) submissions
that do not make it onto official publications.
So that I am "voting" against Yuri's suggestion:-)

Thierry

--
---

Thierry Declerck,
Senior Consultant at DFKI GmbH, Language Technology Lab
Stuhlsatzenhausweg, 3
D-66123 Saarbruecken
Phone: +49 681 / 857 75-53 58
Fax: +49 681 / 857 75-53 38
email: declerck at dfki.de

Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes