[Corpora-List] K-something replacing TTR

Gerold Schneider gschneid at ifi.uzh.ch
Mon Sep 23 12:21:12 UTC 2013

Hi Cedric

You may well mean Yule's K, which is a size-independent version of TTR.

See the following articles for references and applications:

R library languageR (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/languageR/ ) by Harald Baayen:
Baayen, R. H. (2008) Analyzing Linguistic Data. A Practical Introduction to Statistics Using R. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.

Lehmann, Hans Martin and Gerold Schneider (2011). “A large-scale investigation of verb-attached prepositional phrases”. In Hoffmann, S., Rayson, P. & Leech, G. (Eds.), Studies in Variation, Contacts and Change in English, Volume 6: Methodological and Historical Dimensions of Corpus Linguistics. Helsinki: Varieng. [ http://www.helsinki.fi/varieng/journal/volumes/06/ ]

Malvern, David D., Brian J. Richards, Ngoni Chipere & Pilar Durán (2004). Lexical Diversity and Language Development, Houndmills, UK: Palgrave MacMillan.

Yule, George U. 1944. The statistical study of literary vocabulary. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Best regards

Gerold

On Sep 23, 2013, at 11:41, Cedric Krummes <cedric.krummes at uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I've been told/advised/suggested to consider replacing the good old TTR with another value. K-value? K-mean?
>
> Apparently there's a software (maybe a concordancer) that gives you this value.
>
> Does anybody know more about this? And is there a way to calculate it without a specific software?
>
> Thanks in advance for keeping it short and simple,
>
> Cedric
> --
> Dr. Cédric Krummes
> "SMS Communication in Switzerland"