[Corpora-List] examples of the use of the terms "prototypical" > or "prototypicality"

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Sat Jun 28 20:13:09 UTC 2014

I wonder if distributional methods used in computational linguistics are
consistent with or contrary to prototypes (Patrick's syntagmatic patterns).

On 6/28/2014 3:00 PM, Geoffrey Williams wrote:
> Hi Angus,
>
> I do not believe he ever used the word. It is possibly more Patrick
> who called them thus. We can only wait for Patrick to weigh in with an
> answer, or maybe Bill Louw as he is more philosophically read than I.
>
> Best
>
> Geoffrey
>
> Le 28 juin 2014 à 20:46, Angus B. Grieve-Smith <grvsmth at panix.com
> <mailto:grvsmth at panix.com>> a écrit :
>
>>     Rosch definitely built on Wittgenstein.  I know Wittgenstein
>> talked about family resemblances, but I don't know where he talked
>> about prototypes.  I discuss his example of "games" here:
>>
>> http://grieve-smith.com/blog/2013/02/in-a-wittgensteinian-sort-of-way/
>>
>>     Thanks for the pointeres to Hanks' work!
>>
>> On 06/28/2014 02:04 PM, Geoffrey Williams wrote:
>>> Hi,`
>>>
>>> In discussing Patrick, I think you should realize that he was basing
>>> his prototypes on Wittgenstein, not Rosch. The articles where he
>>> discusses these are:

>>> and

>>> The aim was to create lexicographical prototypes to deal with
>>> polysemy by having a continuum of variations of meaning. I have used
>>> this myself in collocational resonance, something I share with
>>> Patrick, and multilingual prototypes for variations across genres
>>> and across languages.
>>>
>>> You need to read Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations, rather
>>> than the Tractatus, for family resemblances, notably with a
>>> discussion go 'game'.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Geoffrey
>>>
>>> Le 28 juin 2014 à 11:00, Krishnamurthy, Ramesh
>>> <r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk <mailto:r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk>> a

Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237
CL Research                       EMAIL: ken at clres.com
9208 Gue Road                     Home Page: http://www.clres.com
Damascus, MD 20872-1025 USA       Blog: http://www.clres.com/blog