[Corpora-List] Arabic and other Semitic phoneme modeling

Khalid Choukri choukri at elda.org
Mon May 19 16:03:30 UTC 2014

Dear Hamed
you should have a look at the work done on the Oriental project
(http://www.speechdat.org/ORIENTEL/index.html), this is a project that
recorded most of the Arabic Variants (MSA, Dialects) for speech
recognition  and also designed the XSAMPA (an extension of SAMPA -
computer readable phonetic alphabet)
  see more here http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/arabic.htm

you can see also who contribute to the project
Most of the resources are available from the ELRA catalogue
(www.elra.info) ; if you can not retrieve the documents please let me
know , I will be happy to help.

Best regards
Khalid Choukri

On 2014-05-19 16:33, Hamed Al-Suhli wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm working on digital model for Arabic phonemes, to include all
> accent and sub-languages of contemporary Arabic I have to include
> Semitic languages as these non standard Arabic phonemes came from
> other Semitic mostly.
> I couldn't find full comprehensive research about Semitic, although in
> Arabic there is one research from KACST by Dr.M.Ghamdi "Arabic
> phonetics" and other research for Quran by Dr.A.Swied "illustrative
> Tajweed" aimed to teach reciting Quran.
>
> Of course Semitic phonemes should be all studied at IPA and
> articulatory phonetics now but they are scattered and I didn't find
> collection of them alone.
>
> The model I suggest categorize all phoneme physical characteristics
> depending on articulation studies so the morphological-phoneme
> relation could be studdied which is very important at Semitic languages.
>

> --
> Hamed Al-Suhli| حامد السحلي
> 0060192432795 0060351614510
> http://e3rab.com
> Google talk: hamed at e3rab.com <mailto:hamed at e3rab.com>
> Skype: hamed.fcs
> C-3-23A, Perdana Villa, Jalan Temenggung 19, 41200, Klang, Selangor,
> Malaysia

Khalid CHOUKRI

ELRA General secretary & ELDA CEO

email: choukri at elda.org ; Web: www.elra.info www.elda.org

Tel. +33 1 43 13 33 33 - Fax. +33 1 43 13 33 30

** Info on LREC 2014: www.lrec-conf.org