Cattle Domestication Dates

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Sat Feb 6 07:16:52 UTC 1999

>rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu (Rick Mc Callister)

>Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that cattle were already
>domesticated in the Middle Wast BEFORE IE developed

-- yes.  Cattle domestication dates to around 6000 BCE or a bit earlier in SW
Asia/Near East, and possibly around the same time or a bit earlier in N.
Africa.

>and that the domestication of cattle was reason of the Berber occupation of
>the whole of North Africa c. 8K BCE or so.

-- as far as I know, the Berbers are the result of development in place from
the original mesolithic inhabitants of North Africa, arriving prior to 8000
BCE.