abarca/abarka/alpargata

maher, johnpeter jpmaher at neiu.edu
Tue Mar 16 13:38:54 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

Compare:

“... in October 1913, the Balkan League of Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, and
Monte Negro, encouraged by Russia, declared war on Turkey.
 In Belgrade,
Trotsky watched the 18th Serbian Infantry marching off to war in uniforms of
the new khaki color. They wore bark sandals and a sprig of green in their
caps
.”

Barbara W. Tuchman. 1966. The Proud Tower. A Portrait of the World before the
War. 1890-1914.Page 536.