[Lexicog] A method for gathering names of flora

Crockett asigwan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 27 21:10:11 UTC 2004

I would suggest you begin a kind of picture book of as many plants,
flowers and trees that you can gather information on from those areas. I
have mine on computer in digital form. There should be books or other
resources about what flora, in general, is found in the Congo or other
nearby or similar areas. It wouldn´t have to be the exact area you are
targeting. You can find a good picture of just about any plant or tree
on the Internet now. Find the scientific name of flora that occurs in
your area, look them up on the internet, and then make a good printout
of  them (or store them on your computer). You can use these pictures to
help people identify what the name of that plant is. These could be
speakers of the language who visit you from those areas or who are
visited in those areas. I imagine you could also use them as part of a
DDP workshop.

You´d still have to do good research to make sure you get the right
names. People will give you the wrong names for plants. I have found
that when several people agree on the name of a plant, then usually you
can be pretty sure it is correct (not always, though). I never take one
or two people’s opinions of what a plant is called. I have over 400
plant names and 300 pictures in my database. I’d say I’m pretty sure
about the names of 200 of them. Each time I have an opportunity to do
more research, either on visits to those areas, or if someone visits me,
then I am able to add to and/or clarify these names. I just took a trip
to a new area a few days ago and got thirty new names and clarified
several I had had doubts about. I also have doubts about one name I was
pretty sure about before. That’s the way it goes in my research.

You may only end up knowing the names for that general kind of plant and
not the exact name for each species. That would still be better than
what it seems you have now.

Hope that helps,
Crockett