[Lexicog] Translations of "El burlador de Sevilla"

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 1 02:26:38 UTC 2007

English translators rarely use the original title, but there is one close to Spanish title: The trickster of Seville. See the record of Library of Congress:

   The trickster of Seville and the stone guest = El burlador de Sevilla y el...     [input]    LC Control No.:      86225225    Type of Material:  Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)   Personal Name:   Molina, Tirso de, 1571?-1648.    Uniform Title:   Burlador de Sevilla. English & Spanish   Main Title:  The trickster of Seville and the stone guest = El burlador de Sevilla y el convidado de piedra / Tirso de Molina ; translated with an introduction & commentary by Gwynne Edwards.   Published/Created:   Warminster : Aris & Phillips, c1986.   Description:   xliii, 195 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.   ISBN:   0856683000 :
 0856683019 (pbk.)

   CALL NUMBER:   PQ6434.B8 E5 1986
Gruesse,

Hayim Y. Sheynin

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:
I’d be interested in how “burlador” of Tirso de Molina’s play “El burlador de Sevilla y Convivado de Piedra” has been translated into different languages. “Burlador” refers to Don Juan. In German I have heard of translations like “Der Gaukler of Sevilla
” which seems acceptable to me as long as the accent is put on “swindler.” Another better one in German is “Der Verführer von Sevilla
” which means “seducer”.  I’m surprized to have found the French “abuseur”, one of its meanings being “cheat/swindler”, and not something more direct like “séducteur.” Probably there is a double entendre in Spanish “burlador” and French “abuseur” which allows for both interpretations. Correct me. Now Don Juan is the type of what kind of man? I wouldn’t put into a translation of the title of the original play “The trickster/crook/scoundrel of Sevilla
”

  Fritz Goerling