[Lexicog] endangered entries for endangered languages

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Mon Jun 4 23:29:57 UTC 2007

I assume that a number of us subscribed to this list study endangered
languages. I do. I'm continuing work with Cheyenne speakers to bring greater
accuracy to our dictionary entries. Occasionally we encounter a form which
was used sometime in the past but no longer is. Sometimes it is no longer
even recognized by any current speakers. Sometimes speakers can pronounce a
word but no longer know what it means. This is especially true of some
proper names. Sometimes we don't know for sure exactly how to spell parts of
a word. It may have been recorded in an informal way by a soldier or a
frontiersman.

Unless significant social changes occur, Cheyenne will no longer be a viable
language 30 or so years from now. But Cheyennes value having had their
language recorded and likely will value it in the future, just as members of
tribes in California value having had some of their, now extinct, language
recorded in the past.

Might any of you have recommendations for entering lexical forms for which
we have little certainty today since they are no longer recognized by any
speakers. We could simply create dictionaries of extant forms. We could do
that for English, but we would be missing a wealth of archaic forms which
were used at one time in English. It seems to me that when we have some kind
of records, however inadequate, that some forms were extant at one time, but
no longer are, that there is value in including them in a dictionary.

What do you all think?

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman