Looking for article on invented languages (Esperanto etc.) and one on World Englishes

Chris Allen Thomas chthomas at dolphin.upenn.edu
Thu Aug 9 20:15:49 UTC 2007

I don't know if it is appropriate for your course, but The article by Poole, I
think 1991, (The World Language Problem) is a seminal work on language
economics, and it is an interesting read. It focuses on Esperanto and explores
the argument that it could become a universally spoken language if a threshhold
of speakers is reached. The paper is in Rationality and Society, and it is
available on the web.

Chris Allen Thomas
Educational Linguistics (Ph.D. candidate)
Graduate School of Education
University of Pennsylvania
My Webpage: http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~chthomas