What the heck is an "official" language?

Edmund A. Aunger edmund.aunger at ualberta.ca
Mon Aug 20 22:09:34 UTC 2007

I sympathize with those list members who, during the past summer, have lamented that the concept "official language" is poorly defined and little understood.  To my mind, the "blame" lies particularly with political scientists who, for unknown reasons, have largely avoided the fields of language policy and political linguistics.  Nevertheless:

In 1971, the jurist Claude-Armand Sheppard provided what remains, in my opinion, the classic definition:

"The term 'official language' has been used frequently in this report and is current in legal and political discussions of the language question in Canada.  To our knowledge, it has never been properly defined.  We ourselves have used the following working definition: an official language is a language in which all or some of the public affairs of a particular jurisdiction are, or can be, conducted, either by law or custom.  We take public affairs to comprise the parliamentary and legislative process, administrative regulations, the rendering of justice, all quasi-judicial activities, and the overall day-to-day administration..  In brief, we consider an official language to be the language in which laws are passed, cases can be pleaded and argued, and the government and the citizenry deal with one another.  In Canada such description, depending, of course, on the jurisdiction, can fit only French and English."

- Claude-Armand Sheppard, The Law of Languages in Canada, Ottawa: Information Canada, 1971, p. 291.

In 1993, I applied a very similar definition:

"An official language is a language that is used, or may be used, for government and public affairs.  Most, but not all, states choose to formally recognize the official status of a language in their statutes and, in many cases, in their constitution.  In principal, an official language may be used in all public domains (executive, legislative, administrative, and judicial) and by all levels of government (national, regional, and local).  In practice, however, the use of some official languages is very restrained: they are used in few domains, with little frequency, and for limited functions.  In Belgium, only two official languages - French and Dutch - are used for the full range of public affairs.  A third official language, German, is used for a limited number of functions."

- Edmund A. Aunger, "Regional, national, and official languages in Belgium", International Journal of the Sociology of Language 104, 1993, p. 40.

I have just finished writing an essay entitled "Official Languages" that will appear in the International Encyclopedia of Political Science, to be published in 2008.  My sincere hope is that this will clarify a very important, but much abused, term.

Edmund A. Aunger
Professeur de sciences politiques
Campus Saint-Jean, University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta  T6C 4G9
téléphone: 780-465-8759
télécopieur: 780-465-8760
edmund.aunger at ualberta.ca