[lg policy] The Colonisation of Britain Continues: 16% of Primary School Children Do not Speak English as Their Home Language

Fouzi Bellalem fouzibellalem at YAHOO.CO.UK
Mon May 17 15:26:42 UTC 2010

Dear Hal and all the members

I'm a minority immigrant in the UK and I don't personally think we should hide information like this by fear of being offended. Please keep up the good work. This is unfortunately a true situation and I believe that we have to strive to change people's minds through dialogue, but not through censorship. Articles like these are highly political and aim at creating division and hatered for election purposes. The BNP's mission is to create chaos and anarchy, so they can survive as a party. But the wide majority of British people are totally different.

What is not said in the article, I believe, is that most whites tend to be well off and go to private schools or to other public schools in selected good areas (namely Conservative areas), whereas minorities do not usually have the same privileges and therefore tend to go to public schools in poor areas, which is why if you go there you find a majority of minorities over "natives". I am sure the statistics have concentrated on those areas.

These are just some thoughts that I wanted to share with everybody.

 Fouzi

--- On Mon, 17/5/10, Harold Schiffman <haroldfs at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Harold Schiffman <haroldfs at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [lg policy] The Colonisation of Britain Continues: 16% of Primary School Children Do not Speak English as Their Home Language
To: "Language Policy List" <lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu>
Date: Monday, 17 May, 2010, 15:07

Dear Davyth and others,

Here we go again.  I tend to forward messages on the topic of language
policy (which often
includes immigration policy) even if they originate with groups that
most of us would
disagree with.  I publish a disclaimer at the end of every message,
assuming that folks
can figure out what the message is all about, and that it is not the
opinion of myself, or
of others on this list.  I assume (as do many others) that we need to
know what such
groups are saying, even if we don't agree with them.  I've gotten flak
recently for sending
some unpleasant messages, but most members seem to support the idea that we need
to know who our 'enemies' are, and what they are saying.  If however
it is the overwhelming opinion
of members of this group that we should NOT distribute such messages,
I will change my
strategy, but I predict that we would then become a 'nicey-nicey'
listserv that favors one
point of view, and I already see too much of that in various places.
(I lived through the loyalty-oath
controversies of the 1950's and 60's and would not like to see such a
policy take over on this
listserv.)

Alternatively, should I "bracket" such unpleasant messages with
"danger signals" so as to
make it clear that it is unpalatable and disgusting, and might offend
some of our readers?
I could do that, but I think I would soon be more likely to turn this
listserv over to someone
else to manage.

Sincerely,

Hal Schiffman