[lg policy] Language policies of world militaries?

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:23:00 UTC 2015

Dear Don,

Regarding your question about language policies in military units, I did a
quick googlesearch for India, and came up with the following:

Language Policy and Linguistic Minorities in India  ... By Thomas Benedikter

What he says in the book is that the Indian military uses a simplified
version
of Hindi and Urdu, with some English mixed in.  I think this is probably a
continuation of what the policy was under the British.

Another example is that of Czarist Russia, where the language policy of the
military was Russian only, and I think this also continued to be the case in
the Soviet period, and of course today as well.

HS

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com