[lg policy] AfriForum to oppose UFS's appeal motionSouth Africa:

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 21:28:59 UTC 2016

 AfriForum to oppose UFS's appeal motion

Saturday 23 July 2016 06:58

SABC
[image: In March, the council of the UFS reached a unanimous decision to
have English as the primary medium of instruction from 2017.]

In March, the council of the UFS reached a unanimous decision to have
English as the primary medium of instruction from 2017.(SABC)
Tags:

   - Free State
   <http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/portal/news/main/tag?tag=Free%20State>
   - Bloemfontein
   <http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/portal/news/main/tag?tag=Bloemfontein>
   - Free State High Court
   <http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/portal/news/main/tag?tag=Free%20State%20High%20Court>
   - University of the Free State
   <http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/portal/news/main/tag?tag=University%20of%20the%20Free%20State>
   - UFS <http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/portal/news/main/tag?tag=UFS>
   - AfriForum
   <http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/portal/news/main/tag?tag=AfriForum>
   - Alana Bailey
   <http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/portal/news/main/tag?tag=Alana%20Bailey>
   - Afrikaans
   <http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/portal/news/main/tag?tag=Afrikaans>

AfriForum
<http://www.sabc.co.za/news/a/db914f004d930aceac31ec4bb456f37b/AfriForum-welcomes-UFS-language-policy-ruling>says
it will oppose the University of the Free State's appeal motion against
Thursday's ruling by the Free State High Court on the preservation of
Afrikaans.

Deputy CEO of AfriForum, Alana Bailey, says the court's ruling against the
university's newly-accepted language policy makes it abundantly clear that
multi-lingualism should be promoted.

She says AfriForum has requested the university through a lawyer's letter
to undertake not to implement the new language policy while its appeal is
still pending.

Bailey says the ruling is a huge victory for language in South Africa.

"There are not many cases in South Africa that focus on language rights and
the fact that we've won this case is very important to us, but also to the
students that would love to study in Afrikaans at the UFS."

We will wait to see the reaction of the university, if they do not react to
the matter the students will be forced to demonstrate

In March, the council of the UFS reached a unanimous decision to have
English as the primary medium of instruction from 2017.

Free State High court says everyone has a right to receive an education in
the language of their choice and that it would be prudent for the
university to teach Sesotho as a language of instruction alongside
Afrikaans and English.

Student Representative Council President, Lindokuhle Ntuli, says the
decision promotes white supremacy.

"We will not continue to fight until English is the only medium of
instruction up until this point, we will not protest, but we will wait to
see the reaction of the university. If they do not react to the matter the
students will be forced to demonstrate because we cannot allow Afrikaans to
be supreme."
http://www.sabc.co.za/news/a/611a52804d985be6a57ae54bb456f37b/AfriForum-to-oppose-UFS-appeal-motion-20162307