Infinitives, Cognate Objects and Related Constructions

Gideon Goldenberg msgidgol at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Thu Dec 11 11:06:27 UTC 2003

Dear Matthew Anstey and Fellow Typologists,
Constructions with infinitives like those in Hebrew that are
here mentioned, and similar constructions of various types, have
been the subject of numerous studies (also special monographs)
in Semitic, Slavic, Romance, Germanic and other languages. One
good advice for those of us interested in typological and cross-
linguistic study of language phenomena is to start from good
standard grammars of the languages involved. Literature on the
various relevant constructions in quite a few languages, with
special discussion of their different uses, will be found in my
extensive article "Tautological Infinitive" now available in
"Studies in Semitic Linguistics: Selected Writings of Gideon
Goldenberg" (Jerusalem, The Magnes Press, 1998) pp. 66-115.
By the way, "dani maher kar'a kri'a 'et	ha-mixtav" ('Danny gave
the letter a quick read'), quoted here from Asya Pereltsvaig's
paper, is ungrammatical.
                                              Yours,
                                                      Gideon.