Source = beneficiary

Hilary Chappell Hilary.Chappell at EHESS.FR
Mon Oct 10 13:49:24 UTC 2005

Dear Seppo

a late reply to your inquiry:  this kind of polysemy is not uncommon in
Sinitic languages; a good example being the Min dialects where the same
morpheme can be used for beneficiary; source; patient and goal (for
communication verbs only in the latter case) :

Fengfu _Tsao_ and  Shou-hsin _Teng_ have both written on this for
Southern Min (the Taiwanese Hokkien dialect) and I've published an
article on it too from an historical perspective for the same group of
languages.  The morpheme in question is /ka7 . /The same applies for
Hakka/ lau11 /too/

/

1./ /KA=Benefactive marker
/lì //       ê       saN,        i        ē   kā      lì     se/
2sg GEN clothes,  3SG  will  KA(=Ben)  2SG wash
'S/He will wash your clothes.'

2. KA = source marker

/I        beh        kā     lì           thó         chîN          o?/
3SG   want   KA   2SG       demand:back  money  PRT

'Does s/he want to get the money back from you?'

3. KA = patient marker

np_agent –  /ka – /np_object  – /        /vp* *

啊        汝        共        汝        的        氣力                攏
        用去                啊

/a          lì          kā        lì          ê
khùi-lat           lóng     iōng-khì          a/

prt      2sg      acc      2sg      gen      strength
all         use-go             prt

‘You used up all your strength.’           [Jesse’s Story: 823]

best
Hilary Chappell