Doubled preposition in NPs

Groot, C. de C.deGroot at UVA.NL
Fri Jul 14 14:15:36 UTC 2006

Dear Wolfgang and Bernard,

The distribution of case markers is the same as that of postpositions in demonstrative constructions:

ab-ban      a    ház-ban
that-INES the house-INES
'in that house'

I would not speak of agreement here. Hungarian used to mark all discontinuous elements of a noun phrase by the same case suffix. Compare:

Piros-at   kettö-t      vett      Mari  cipö-t.
red-ACC two-ACC bought Mary shoe-ACC
'Mary bought two red shoes.'

Mari kettö piros cipö-t         vett.
Mary two  red    shoe-ACC bought
'Mary bought two red shoes.'

It can be argued that the demonstrative is outside the NP, it precedes the article. Historically the demonstrative constructions can be analysed as non-verbal predicative constructions: that (is) the man. This explains why the demonstrative also takes the plural as in predications:

az-ok    a    lány-ok
that-PL the girl-PL
'those girls'

Az-ok lány-ok.
that-PL girl-PL
'Those are girls.'

I don't know whether this is of much help. I missed the earlier messages on this subject. - Best, Casper de Groot