adjacent vs. verbal 'only'

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Sat Jun 13 16:23:18 UTC 2009

Peter,

I think the contrast between (adjacent) tol'ko/tik and (verbal) only/te-
is an important one, and the grammatical typology of such focus
quantifiers is a fascinating topic that is just barely beginning to be
explored. So I look forward to seeing your work on Lithuanian.

But I'm not so sure that the contrast between "affixal" and
"non-affixal" only-expressions is going to be very interesting, because
we don't have good criteria for telling affixes apart from words.
Couldn't Lithuanian tik be regarded as an affix as well, or te as a free
word? Apparently the main reason why tik is not considered an affix is
that it is non-selective (or "promiscuous") with respect to its host,
i.e. it can occur next to words of diverse categories, whereas te only
occurs next to verbs. But that is best described as an adjacency
difference (focus quantifier is adjacent to its focus or occurs in a
fixed position close to the verb), not an indepenent difference in
"affixhood". Note that many of the "suffixes" in the Gast & van der
Auwera database would have to be considered words, not suffixes, by the
non-selectivity criterion (it seems that the main criterion for
classifying them as suffixes is the spelling).

Incidentally, another well-known language that has a (partly) verbal
'only'-marker is French:

Ivan ne lit que des livres.
'Ivan only reads books (and nothing else).'

In French, the 'only' marker is bipartite, with one verbal part (ne)
(which is often argued to be affixal), and one adjacent part (que)
(which is rarely argued to be affixal, due to its non-selective character).

Martin